Thursday, November 11, 2010

Advent Approaches

Advent approaches and I need a new church banner. Some months ago, I started putting together this crazy quilt from my mother. She did the squares and the beautiful handwork in them and I squared up the squares and pieced the top. Then I machine stitched in the ditches around the squares with a feather stitching. I remembered having quite a bit to finish, but it turns out that there is only the border on two sides to stitch. If I can get the binding on, all the better.

My plan is to have the quilt covered with red and gold organza on the Sunday before Advent, the 21st. Then, on each Advent Sunday I'll uncover more of it until the 26th, when it will be completely uncovered with the organza completely puddled under it. It should be very nicely visual.

My mother made squares for two quilts, completely from old neckties. Lots and lots of hand stitching. Then I speculate that she wasn't sure how to put it together. This is actually the second try for me - the first didn't work at all.

Just yesterday I got the new open toe attachment for the Viking interchangable dual feed foot. It should be just the thing for the feather stitching. I'd love to have the quilt hanging after the service on Sunday so it will be ready for the 21st, but if it takes longer, I can hang it before the service on the 28th. I can do this.

No comments: