Saturday, April 8, 2023

Red Beet Eggs


I really wanted to make these this Easter.  I want my two grandkids to see this part of my history.  I don't expect the grands to enjoy these eggs.  I don't even expect them to eat them.  I just want them to see them.  I'll cut them in half so they can admire the pretty pink with the yellows of the yokes.

Some time before Easter my uncle would have the job of grating a horseradish root, sitting on my grandmother's back porch step.  He said it was an awful job, the smell of the root was so strong.  My cousin and I would dare each other to stick our noses in a jar of fresh horseradish with vinegar, knowing that we would feel the pain deep in our sinuses.

That horseradish was a part of enjoying the eggs at Easter dinner.

I've read that we can buy horseradish root at Whole Foods, although I've never looked for itI'm sure my uncle would have loved having a small food processor to replace using a hand grater.

No comments: