Thursday, January 5, 2023

Wonderful Advent Calendar


I was gifted this Advent Calendar from Sarah and Winnie.  Nine little windows with a little jar of jam or honey behind each.  The glass jars have red and white gingham-looking lids.  Yesterday's jam was peach apricot.

I've had some overdue alterations to do.  One was a pair of black denim jeans with a really heavy side seam.  It was the first time I've seen my new sewing machine in action for thick fabrics.  The needle  acts like a jack hammer, pounding through the thicknesses.  A little disconcerting but it worked well.

I've loved, loved my Viking Quilt Designer for many years.  It has a smaller platform that I've always appreciated, and it sews like a dream.  For alterations, it's been my go-to.  Yesterday, though, I decided to put it into semi-retirement.  It will come out for retreats and for hemming dainty cuffs and other small things.

My newer machines also sew like a dream, and they have LED lighting.  That's a big deal when sewing dark fabrics.  Their touch screens are much larger, and the new one has a needle threading system that I could only have dreamed of.  At a touch of a button, the needle is threaded.

It will take a while to get used to the empty space on the table where the Quilt Designer used to sit.  It's sewn a million miles and deserves a rest.


2 comments:

Angie said...

I’m curious about the brand of your new machine? A new Viking?

Joanne S said...

My favorite brand.......husband has an entire wall of screw, nuts, bolts etc in his workshop- all in empty jam jars with red and white checked lids. I never recycle any of them. the tiny ones are so so adorable.
I have never had a tiny one but I think of my Muffy Bear having one on her tiny table. I didn't save them back when we visited Europe and they had the tiny tiny jars at Breakfast.