Saturday, January 7, 2023

Baking Tonight

 Joanne was blogging a day or two ago about finding a recipe for oatmeal bread, and it just happens that I'm baking oatmeal bread tonight for a potluck tomorrow.

This is my favorite bread recipe ever, and I've made so many loaves over the years.  It's from More With Less by Doris Jansen Longacre.  I think most of my Mennonite friends have this cookbook and we all have our favorite recipes from it. 

The next recipe after Oatmeal Bread is a wonderful Cornmeal Yeast Bread. 

My cookbook was a gift from my mother, and it was copywrited in 1976.  You can get an updated version from Amazon or from Ten Thousand Villages. 

For rising, I usually turn my oven to 150 degrees, then turn it off before putting in the dough. 


Oatmeal Bread

Combine in a large bowl:  1 cup quick oats, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, 2 tablespoons butter.

Pour 2 cups boiling water over the mixture and stir to combine.

Dissolve 1 package dry years in 1/2 cup warm water.  When the oatmeal batter is cooled to lukewarm, add the yeast.

Stir in 5 cups white flour.  (I usually use 4 3/4 cups.)

When the dough is stiff enough to handle, turn on to a floured surface and kneed 5 - 10 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled.  Punch down and let rise again.  Shape into two loaves and place in greased 9 x 5 x 3" pans.  Let the loaves rise.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes.  Cool on rack, brushing loaves with butter for a soft crust.

No comments: