Thursday, July 23, 2020

July Opening Day


Tomorrow is Opening Day 2020 for my Cincinnati Reds.  On July 24.  No fans in the stands.  Playing the Detroit Tigers.

I am beyond ready.  This week there were a couple of exhibition games with the Tigers.  I heard the fireworks.  Started to learn the names of new players.  Bottom line - I love baseball.

When I was growing up in Ohio, my brother and I would listen to the Cleveland Indians double headers on Sunday afternoons.  A special treat was getting a pack of baseball cards and wishing, wishing that there would be an Indians player in the pack, or at least a few American League players.  The National League was kind of mysterious to us.

My in-laws lived in Sarasota in the winters, back when the Reds did their spring training there.  They became Reds fans.  On summer evenings, they would sit on their screened-in back porch in Detroit and listen to the Reds games.  For my father-in-law, there would be some sipping whiskey.  I lived in Detroit then, got to sit in on some of those summer evenings with them.

Oh, my goodness, I wonder what they would think of this season.  I can't even imagine.

Nor could I have imagined that one day I'd live so close to the Reds ball park, way up on a hill, in a little house, by myself.  Life takes mysterious turns.  

No comments: