Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Felt Stocking


Did anyone else used to get felt and sequin kits and make stockings and other Christmas things?

It had been ages since I'd done that, but I was digging in my post-Christmas sale purchases for my neighbor, who is on her fourth stocking of the past few weeks.  She made her first two then was having trouble finding kits in the stores.  She finally called the Bucilla company to ask for a catalog and was told that there had been a fire at their facility and they were behind this year.

She took two of my kits and I am happy that my stash is now lighter.  What was I thinking?  But her enthusiasm was contageous and I started one of my own.  Definitely not my usual thing but I'm finding enjoyment in doing just a bit each day and watching it all add up.

There used to be calendars too, remember that?  For several years I'd make one for my grandmother every year.  She was definitely into simple living, not many sparkles for her, but she did seem to enjoy those calendars.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

G's mom used to buy the finished work of others for my children when they were little. She bought the stockings etc at her Local Bingo Parlor where she won her Christmas shopping. She sent us sets of pots and pans, embroidered towels, pot holders etc. It was always stuff we, poor young people, actually needed and used. Gramma S would have loved that Santa Stocking you are making!!!! It's adorable.