Thursday, September 12, 2013

Not Sudoku


It's not a secret that lots of people say that crossword puzzles or sudoku are good for aging minds.  I'm awful at word pluzzles, at least challenging ones, and haven't done a sudoku for a long time.  I used to enjoy both when I got a daily newspaper, but I no longer have newspaper delivery.  A story for another day.

Instead, I tell myself that sewing and quilting provide some of that puzzle stimulation, and I do think that my spacial problem-solving, once not great, has improved a lot.  Where I'm going with this:  one of my customers wanted a new high chair cover for a new grandson-to-come.  She gave me her original cover to use for a pattern.

I hope she'll be pleased with this quilted cover, in the sport fabric that she picked out.  It has a brown lining, machine quilting, two cut-outs (one on the back,) and nine buttonholes, six slanted.  Pretty darn cute, I'm pleased with it and it required lots of thinking.

It has $22.00 worth of materials, most on sale for half off.  I didn't charge her much more than that, so I won't be making anywhere near the value of my time.  I'll take my payment in puzzle value this time.  If I ever make another one, I'll charge a LOT.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

The client should have had you make TWO. If it's something that needs washing--I buy two.

I think any type of puzzle work is good for the brain. I infrequently do Suduko (at work) but find the questions customers ask me to be puzzling enough for me. :-)