Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hiking in the Smoky Mountains


I love the Smoky Mountains in every season, and right now I'm loving them in the fall.  Nice days, cool evenings around the campfire.  Perfect hiking weather.  Precious time with family.  Campground less crowded, more spreading out.


I always love the easy hikes around the Elkmont houses, dreaming about how they used to be.  Another day, the others in my party hiked to Charlie's Bunyon and raved about it, but I followed and poked around and did half the hike.  I'm a fan of solitary hiking, going at my own pace, not being self conscious that it takes me longer on the rocky climbing.

On yet another day, we hiked the Gatlinburg Trail to town, a nice flat trail that goes by quickly.  We ate lunch and shopped a little, perfect.  One of the highlights of this trip was the trip to the Smoky Mountain Brewery, this time for Monday Night football and the Bengals.

It's clear that I need to shop for new hiking shoes, in a larger size, and this time I may look for a lower version.  Why is it that my feet are suddenly growing, especially the toes?  I need to do some research!

Last night my neighbor brought over my mail, and we agreed to join a nearby gym when she retires in a couple of weeks.  She got me on the right day, when I was really motivated about hikes to come, and when feel like I have a good start anyway.  It's been a long time since I had a gym partner, and I'm pretty excited about this. 

No comments: