Monday, May 2, 2011

Times of Not Knowing

There are times of knowing, I think, just how a quilt will turn out. Maybe there was a picture in a magazine with good instructions. The quilt could have been computer-generated, with the ability to change colors and fabrics to get it just right. Or just a clear picture in the mind's eye. This wasn't one of these times.



It started in a Dena Crain design class on Quilt University. Lines on a sheet of paper, no more. Adding a few lines, taking more out. No color. No idea of what was intuitively forming.



And then the trying out of color and finally figuring out how to get it together. Wondering how to quilt it, figuring out what the quilt was trying to say. Going so slowly because I didn't know where I was going.



Yesterday, the bird, which gave me lots of thought. This morning, the binding, a different color than I'd planned.



As I often do, I'm thinking of my friend Jess and her leadership training, with her introduction of the concept that it's ok sometimes to not know where you're going as long as you're going in the right direction.



I miss you, Jess. And, thanks to Dena for the class and guidance.











4 comments:

Jess said...

Why thank you my friend--the love and learning is mutual..this post could be a chapter from "The Artist's Way"..beautimous!

Anonymous said...

This is really pretty.
Sarah

Dena Crain said...

Thanks, Connie, for showing us your wonderful original art quilt! I took the liberty of posting about it on my blog; hope you don't mind. It was a pleasure having you in Goodbye to the Grid, and I shall look forward to seeing you in another of my Quilt University classes soon!

Heckety said...

Well, for someone who didn't know where they were going, it turned out just lovely!

I'm visiting from Dena's blog where I saw your quilt!