Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gardening

I'm finding this to be a difficult spring to get my garden out, but the things that come up by themselves are especially nice this year. The woman who owned my house was not a gardener, but she did have a few peony bushes at the sides of the house. One side gets almost no sun, but the peony bushes power on, not really thriving but still showing up year after year. On the other side, the scrub bushes threaten to crowd them out, but I'm working on that. Perennial wise, that's pretty much all I got when I moved in.



Last week, my neighbor cut down a tree beside her pool and gave me half a dozen hosta plants that had lived under it. I planted them between rain showers and think they'll do well in my shady back yard. I have mint in the back yard too, knowing well that it would spread but not caring that it would. There is a large sage plant that doesn't seem to mind the shade, as well as a couple of other herbs. A couple of years ago Sarah gave me several container shrubs that I never planted because I wasn't sure where to put them or how big they would get. They must be really hardy because they've survived in their pots pretty much neglected. I planted them with the hosta by the back fence and have a feeling that they will feel luxurious in their new surroundings.




Overall, my landscaping looks pretty neglected and dismal, but every year I add a little, do a little. It's always a choice, gardening or sewing, and sewing usually wins.

No comments: