Wednesday, June 3, 2009

March Journal Quilt

You've already seen my April journal quilt, but I've just finished the March one, a little out of sequence. One of the downsides to waiting awhile before doing the quilt is that I can't remember what all the fabrics were used for.

The yellow linen with embroidery was from a work project and I had the bobbin in wrong, which meant that there was white showing on top. Couldn't use it. The picture of the old lady and the instructions were from the book I made for Aaron. But the blue fabrics and the dots and the triangles - don't know.

I could go back and look at pictures but it really isn't a concern to me. Someone asked whether I keep a log of what's in these journal quilts and the answer is no. If I were making what I'd call a memory quilt, I'd do that. But to me a journal quilt is more about ending up with a representation of what life was like during that month. Some of it shows through in the colors I was using, some in the shapes, some in new techniques. Some is just in the composition. Looking back at January's quilt, for example, I can pick up on the gloominess and February looks chaotic.

Some of it shows up in little remembrances of what I was doing too. This March quilt has a bracelet from a trip to the Cincinnati Zoo on the first nice Sunday, a sticker from a trip to the Taft Museum to see movie costumes, and a movie ticket from "The Reader," which was a wonderful movie.

And I especially wanted to include a piece of Peggy King's mass card. She was one great lady.

No comments: