Sunday, August 29, 2021

Yellow Cake, Chocolate Icing

 


We usually look up  recipes online now but I dug out my old Betty Crocker cookbook for recipes for yellow cake and chocolate icing for son-in-law Mike's birthday.  It's his go-to birthday cake.

This cookbook has seen better days, and it was a replacement for another that fell apart.  There are loose pages, and some are missing and lots are stained, so it may soon be time to replace it once again.  There's just something about a good basic cookbook.

I could have just headed for the store for a cake mix but I wanted to revisit actually making a cake, plus I'm limiting trips out once again.  

And a shout-out to my cousin Bill who gave me the vintage Sunbeam hand mixer.  I've gone through a couple of newer hand mixers but this one just keeps going.  I even visited the Kitchen Aid repair place a few years with one of the hand mixers since it was expensive but learned that there were no parts available.

I hope that little repair shop off the beaten path is still in business.  The repair guy did a good job with repairing my stand mixer when it needed it.

And so, I'm looking forward to a family birthday meal at noon and cake for dessert.

3 comments:

Joanne S said...

When I open my BCCookbook- I find the dirty splattered pages and those are the only ones I use!!!!
That's how I identify them!!!!!! So funny. I would never buy a new one. Mine is 53 years old now.
I think my mom liked making the yellow cake with chocolate frosting for my brothers. I could ask Bill if he remembers that.

Angie said...

There's just so substitution for a from scratch yellow cake with chocolate icing. I love cookbooks----well, I love BOOKS, but cookbooks---I used to have to buy one any time I was in a new location. And yes, I still use my cookbooks. My favorite one is from 1956, the year I was born, and my oldest sister (20 years older than me) gave it to our Mom for Christmas that year. It's inscribed on the inside fly leaf.

Angie said...

Should read " no substitution"