Monday, January 1, 2018

Family Mending


I could write about how cold it is here, but it is cold everywhere so I won't do that.

I enjoy family mending very much.  Like fixing a hole in a favorite pair of jeans.  They aren't beautiful now but they are functional still.  At a quick glance, no one will say, "Oh, look, your jeans are mended."

It seems that in the past months I've done more fixing than creating.  And it isn't that I've done all that much fixing.  Sometimes, I find, my creativity needs a bit of rest and reset.

I'm sure I shared this last New Year's, maybe even the one before that.  But, I love the thoughts and the poetry,  I don't know who gets the credit for this lovely bit of verse.

When the song of the angels is stilled,
when the star in the sky is gone,
when the kings and princes are home,
when the shepherds are back with their flocks,
the work of Christmas begins:
to find the lost,
to heal the broken,
to feed the hungry,
to release the prisoner,
to rebuild the nations,
to bring peace among the people,
to make music in the heart. 

Going into 2018, I feel that we need to remember this more than ever.  Happy New Year, everyone!


1 comment:

Joanne S said...

Now I like mending that is visible. Boro style.
But that's me. I found a one dollar grey sweater the same texture as my favorite sweater and that was
now of the only times I did a same color mending. I did cut squares to cover holes. So everyone can see where I patched. Like the elbows.

You did a GREAT job of mending. that spot will outlast the rest of the jeans! Laughing.