Sunday, October 22, 2017

Great Day of Singing


This is one of those days when I don't "make" something but do alterations instead.  I enjoy that too, especially when I can help someone's ideas come into being.

Today was the Great Day of Singing at some of the Mennonite churches.  At my church, there was mostly singing, no sermon, with some folks describing why they like their favorite hymns.  Two of my favorites were in the mix.  Both are old hymns, I guess I like the old stuff.

The song below was sung at my cousin's funeral last October and at my aunt's funeral this summer.  I had a moment of incredible sadness.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.
Refrain:
It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

And this one, I love.  I think I've mentioned it before:

My life flows on in endless song;
Above earth’s lamentation
I hear the sweet though far off hymn
That hails a new creation:
Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing;
It finds an echo in my soul—
How can I keep from singing? 

My grandmother used to play the piano and sing traditional hymns, but never the ones above.  Trust and Obey is the one that comes to mine.  Another of the old ones.  






2 comments:

Joanne S said...

What lovely memories--though saddened by loss-- they still provide comfort.
I have always believed tears are a sort of cleansing of the heart and soul.
so shedding some was good. Perhaps that is what the day of singing is meant to do?

I love that your grandmother played the piano and sang.
What deep and kind memories that must bring to you!

stephanie said...

I love the story behind that hymn written by Horatio Spafford.
It is well with my soul is my very favorite hymn.
They do a version of it at our church.