Thursday, October 5, 2017

Grandparents Day


Yesterday evening was Grandparents Day at Aaron's school.  There was a meal in the cafeteria of hot dogs from a local restaurant, chips, and a luscious chocolate frozen custard.  No veggie dogs, I should have thought to bring my own.  The food wasn't the point for me, it was the joy of being with Aaron in his space.

We talked about football at recess and about his heel inserts, necessary because his heel plates have grown faster than the ligaments in his legs, causing heel pain.  A common "disease" of sporty little kids.  Apparently it used to be seen mostly in boys but is seen in girls these days as they play more sports.


We visited his classroom and some of his former teachers.  For a boy who will tell you that he doesn't like school, he obviously likes his relationships there.

And then, I went to Olive Garden with Steph, Mike, and Nora.  Sometimes I forget how nice it is to just sit and eat dinner and chat.  To relax over a meal.  I'm usually checking the news (not good) or doing a puzzle or reading a bit.  Really, I need to make some changes there.

One of the restaurants nearby just closed.  Traditional meals, no alcohol.  There are some newer trendy restaurants down the street and a few more lively places close by.  Sales were down.

How lovely to wake up this morning to a bit of rain.  It's been awhile.  I like rain, it always helps me to reset.    

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

Like you, I am trying to re-set my "normal" patterns.
Looking for more conversations with friends. Less alone time.

Spent Sunday with my co-student of Master Gardener days.
We partners up that first day and have enjoyed each other's company (mostly :))
We picked peaches, ate crackers and cheese (her favorite food group) and had
gin and tonics.

My employer and I have gotten to a place where "playful" banter is now replacing "distant silence"
I stopped in to say I needed next wednesday off and he told me we had 2 call outs for Saturday so I should be "ready". I replied--"extra vitamins". and he laughed (!!!!)