Saturday, August 25, 2012

Cutwork Needles


This potholder-to-be was made with a Viking design and cutwork needles.  Reverse applique.  Part of the class I taught today.  I gave the finished product to a coworker for a birthday gift.

Note the little red clips - they're called Wonder Clips and are marketed by Clover.  Such a nice alternative to pins.  I want to think of a new class just so I can use these clips.  Great for holding down binding.  They are really nice for serging too - easier to keep track of than pins, which you don't want to run over with the serger blade.  Take my word for it, you don't want to do that.  I get excited about new tools that I really, really like and this is one of those.

Some days, some classes, are hard, and this was one.  We got off to a rough start, and yet  . . . I think that everyone in the class now has a good knowledge of how to use their endless hoop, and how to use their cutwork needles.  These things are coming out of their boxes.  And for me, that 's what it's all about.  That's why I get excited about teaching new classes.  I want my students to love the tools that are available to them.

The Viking convention is coming up really soon, and I am so hoping for cool new feet, new designs . . . I love all that stuff.

Oh, and to add to my happiness - the Reds beat the Cardinals tonight.  Please, please, beat them tomorrow too.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

There were metal binding clips, years ago, that my friend K bought for me. I still use them on large projects--gosh when was that???

These look like something she would get two of. One for her and one for me. If we still quilted together. There are days--like when I am sewing--that I miss her so much. But she decided not to be my friend and I have to wait and see if she will decide to reunite. It's been about 18 months.