Wednesday, February 29, 2012

On the Soapbox

From Maine's Republican Senator Olympia Snowe's remarks yesterday, citing why she will not seek re-election, although her public service has been "an indescribable honor and an immeasurable priviledge:

"I do find it frustrating, however, that an atmosphere of polarization and 'my way or the highway' ideologies has become pervasive in campaigns and in our governing institutions."

"Unfortunately, I do not realistically expect the partisanship of recent years in the Senate to change over the short term," Snowe said. "So at this stage of my tenure in public service, I have concluded that I am not prepared to commit myself to an additional six years in the Senate."

From the White House:
"From her unwavering support of our troups, to her efforts to reform Wall Street, to fighting for Maine's small businesses, Sen. Snowe's career demonstrates how much can be accomplished when leaders from both parties come together to do the right thing for the American people."

I have great admiration for this woman and a great sadness for the lack of political civility displayed in the past few years. How did we get to this point, where it is ok to not work together for the common good? The past few elections have been very close, clearly not a mandate for either side, and yet both sides act as if it were.

The rest of us go to work and learn to come to consensus or at least demonstrate civility day after day. Why do our politicians think they should do no less? Do they so cherish the power that they must think sets them apart from listening well, finding common ground, and coming to workable decisions?

It seems to me that in their jobs they represent all of us, yet they act as if they represent just half of us. I am so discouraged this morning.

No comments: