Monday, July 12, 2021

Sampler Blocks

 


My design wall is filled with little sampler blocks these days.  Six-and-a half inches square.  I'm enjoying the book Sampler Spree by Susan Ache.

Most mornings I make a block or two, usually two.  It fits in with my usual way of making things, a little at a time.  There is even a facebook group of folks working on these blocks, although many of them work with one color scheme each week.  I like a really scrappy look, so I just add colors as I feel like it.  I have no problem finding various colors among my small fabric pieces.

The finished quilt, if I get to that, has 100 blocks.  Some of the blocks have teeny pieces, a few use templates.  I'm about 1/3 of the way there, we'll see.  So far, making these little blocks is addicting.  And I'm getting much faster at visualizing and sewing.

I had always ignored the 1/4" stitch on my sewing machines, but with my new machine I can also click over one position toward the edge so it makes a nice scant 1/4" seam, using the regular presser foot.  I find it much easier than using the 1/4" piecing foot.

We are at the All Star Break, so there won't be as much baseball for the next few days.  So proud of the Cincinnati Reds and their recent run.  Baseball has been fun.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

My Bernina allows me to place the needle and then it remembers when I turn off the machine. And I always go for slightly LESS than the ¼ inch mark. I like your wall of squares. By the way- what are you reading these days??????

I am sewing little bits of cloth to the larger bits. It works about half the time.