Saturday, July 26, 2014

Edible Landscaping


Yesterday the kids and I went to the Krohn Conservatory for their Edible Landscaping summer show. We didn't spot too many new ideas, but I did like this bamboo teepee for beans.  The mix was on primarily flowers and just a few veggies.
 

This tower looked interesting.  We spent some time in the education room, where the kids crayoned on the kraft paper that covered the tables.  Playing in the background was a video about how to do the tower planting.  I have plenty of ground space and no deck space, but it's an interesting concept.  I did a little research and found that it can be done in conjunction with worm composting.

Even though I didn't get a lot of new ideas, I did come home ready to work on my back yard again.  Just pulling out aged bushes and collecting a contractor bag full of weeds and escaping mint earlier this month made a big difference.  I have spots where two trees were removed a couple of years ago, and I'm thinking about some kind of raised bed in one and a fire pit in the other.

No comments: