Friday, October 5, 2012

606

I recently learned that at Goshen College soccer games with 6:06 left to play, fans sing hymn 606 from the Mennonite Hymnal.  "Praise God from whom all blessings flow, praise him all creatures here below . . ."  Apologies to my Goshen soccer-playing Luginbuhl relatives, and to my Goshen alum sister for not knowing this before.

We sang this hymn as an offertory hymn at First Mennonite Bluffon, and we sang it before special meals at my uncle and aunt's house.  I thought this was a hymn everyone sang, sort of like Silent Night.

I did a little research after learning about the soccer singing and learned that it isn't a common hymn after all, primarily sung in Mennonite churches, and not all of those.  According to Rebecca Slough, "'606' is the Mennonite anthem for white, Anglo, educated Mennonites with Western European roots.  For other congregations - those with members who are Spanish-speaking, new Mennonites, or non-Mennonite educated - '606' is often outside their congregation's ethos, singing styles, or soundpools, so they rarely sing it in church."

And that, furthermore, it is being sung less in Mennonite churches and is not always being taught to new members or children.  Things changed when I wasn't paying attention.  I'm trying to remember the last time I heard it sung at my current church, Cincinnati Mennonite Fellowship.  I really can't remember, (but that doesn't mean that we didn't just sing it last month.)

1 comment:

DMarsh said...

I know a Lutheran family who sang the doxology before meals and continued singing it when all 6 children were adults and continued to have dinner together with their spouses and parents monthly--an amazing family. We we privileged to celebrate the parents' 60th anniversary with the family and we all sang, in parts, in the country club dining room. :)