Monday, July 21, 2008

Start Over

Today's postcard

It's 2:30, and I'm declaring this day a Start Over. I have so much to do today, and I want things to go differently. Nothing's going really badly, no worries, but I just want to start again.

Right about the time the garbage truck took away my yard trash - thank you, there was lots - this digger showed up, along with a concrete saw, and I knew it wouldn't be a quiet day. I'm really glad they are here, because the storm grate needs to be replaced before someone drives over it and it caves in. I just wish they'd come tomorrow when I'm not home. Or Wednesday, or Thursday, or Friday.

I read Sarah Ann Smith's post about her computer traumas and expensive repairs to come - I'm so sorry, Sarah - and decided that today would be the day I would get an external hard drive and back everything up. When I opened the box at home, though, I realized I had gotten an internal drive and will have to go back to the store. This is the second go-round. A couple of weeks ago I picked out and paid for an external hard drive at a different store, only to find that it was out of stock. Oops.

Right around the time I moved into my house, I got two more smoke detectors for my house but never put them up. And I know they do no good in the box. Today was the day. Only thing was, when I was drilling, I ran into something hard and couldn't get one of the screws in. No big deal, but now there's a hole. I'll be so happy to not see those smoke detectors laying on the dryer any more, though.

My toenail polish really needed attention. I stopped at my favorite nail place on Sunday and found that they were closed Sundays, so I noted what time they opened today. When I got there, there was a hand-lettered sign on the door that they wouldn't open until 1 p.m. Rather than drive back a third time, I took off the old polish and painted my nails a light color and saved $30 for today.

Then there were the shoes. Nothing makes me feel quite so much like an old lady than summer shoe shopping. For extended wear, I can't wear a sandal that's too high or that has anything between the toes (yes, I've tried the ones that have fabric instead of plastic.) And I need a back strap and at least a little support. And I want something pretty. I found a pair today that made me really happy, tried on the black ones, and decided I really liked the gray and they were cheaper too. I got the one box with the gray in my size, but when I got to the cash register and the clerk checked, the shoes inside the box were much smaller than the size written on the box. I'm really glad she checked or I would have been going back to that store too, although it is right across the street from the office supply store. But no shoes for me. I know I'm whining.
So, I'm taking a deep breath, picking up my messes, and re-orienting myself in a positive mental direction. It's all fairly amusing, really.




2 comments:

Sarah Ann Smith said...

Good luck with the hard drive! If you can, set it up to do one-touch back-ups, or do them automatically somehow. It helps if the electronics make it easy on you!

Good luck with the rest of the stuff too.... isn't little piddly stuff like that annoying, you try, and it STILL won't get done! Story of my life some days.....so it goes!

Cheers, and glad my example (sob...and grin!) helped, Sarah

(I've got this google alert thing for posts with my name, which is how I found this).

Jane said...

So what are you gonna get with the extra $30,?? Your at home beauty treatment looks as good as the pros.. you may be on to something, LOL!