Thursday, July 24, 2008

Kinda Sorta

Today's postcard

This afternoon I tried some shibori dyeing by taking my muslin and sewing in pleats before it went in the dye. I like it, kinda sorta, it's not bad for a first try. I didn't really know exactly what I was doing, but I've always felt drawn toward stitching in the pleats. What really worked well was using a rayon embroidery thread. It was light enough that I could just rip it out at the end of the first two rinses.

I'm not sure why I started out using a full yard, since I usually dye half yards or fat quarters. Next time I'll work with a smaller piece. I think it would be very cool with some batiking on top and then a second dyeing. Guess I'll try that next - maybe that's why I have such a large piece.

There may have been some divine intervention going on - I took this picture earlier in the afternoon when I looked up and saw the shadow pattern on the wall. It reminds me of my dyed piece, kinda, sorta.

It was a nice day. All week long I'd thought I was working today, then when I looked at the schedule yesterday, I realized I wasn't. I think it was a glitch, but I loved having the day off.


No comments: