Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Unfinished Projects

Around Halloween, I must have been feeling energetic. I had all sorts of projects to do between then and Christmas and I knew I could do them all. Some got finished, lots in fact, but there are seven still hanging around.

Steph and Sarah, I have your pants to take in and to hem. Not so hard. I haven't forgotten. Still undone, and they have been on the studio floor since October. I put them on the floor so I would do them right away. You see where that's gotten me. I'm feeling very guilty about not having these done.

I have two projects for Aaron, first his little Raggedy Andy which I so want him to have. And a cloth book that I got at Sew A Lot in Lexington long ago. Long enough ago that it was originally for Nora. I thought it would be a nice easy Christmas extra, but at the rate I'm going he will have outgrown cloth books before he gets to turn a page.

I give sewing lessons and one day in November someone brought in a flannel rag quilt she wanted some help with and I was so intrigued. I just knew I could finish it for Nora for Christmas, no problem, I'd just do two blocks every day and it would be done. It's sort of a quilt-as-you-go concept so once it was pieced it would be finished. Of course I went shopping for the fabric, I got that done. The student brought in her rag quilt, completed, and mine doesn't have the first block cut out. It's getting too warm for a flannel quilt now, so I've packed the fabric away.

Oh, and I started a little redwork quilt for a Christmas gift as well. I have the blocks done and the inside sashings. I need a tiny tweak on one of the sashings so it will look really good. This is another on-the-floor project.

And I have Mike's golf designs to digitize or put in a Family Portrait format. They aren't even very big, I just need to spend a little time getting up to speed on the software. This is another feeling-guilty project because I know he's waiting. And I'm really excited about doing it.

What was I thinking? Why did it seem so realistic that I could complete these projects three months ago?

Sometimes, I know, I choose an easy project just because it is easy and I'm tired and maybe even a little lazy. But none of these are hard. Should I do a time table? Or start work on the felted bag that looks like it will be so fun?

Should I do the least labor-intensive first so I'll feel like I'm getting somewhere? That might be the pants. Or, the longest-outstanding first? That would be the book. Or, should I get the ones off the floor first? Suggestions, anyone?

1 comment:

Daisy @ Our Growing Family said...

CLOTH books...that's what I need to get for Aiden! Thanks for the idea. We actually have one or two, but I forget about them (well, one we read but it's a "Wheels on the Bus" book that was Camden's - and it has these little wheels that I don't want him chewing on! So he can play with that but I still have to watch him carefully.).

He LOVES books and, of course, wants to chew on them. I know that's partly why we have so many board books, but I still don't want him getting all that cardboard in his mouth... Next time we're at the store, I'm definitely looking at the cloth books! I think I remember seeing some organic cloth ones at Babies R Us, too! Thanks for reminding me about the CLOTH books, Connie! :)

And I think you should start with the projects that are most awaited. :)