Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hard to Find Sewing Stuff

I'm glad that this blustery day (think Winnie the Pooh) at the end of March isn't Easter. Egg hunts and spring dresses would have been cold affairs today.

This afternoon I spent some time shopping for sewing and embroidery supplies. I got some cloth diapers to make burp cloths - I've seen some sweet embroidered ones with ruffled bias trim at one end. The fabric store had none of the trim (although I'd seen a nice selection at a different location a few weeks ago) but I did find some in white at WalMart when I went to pick up the diapers. None of the sweet gingham stuff, though. A sticker on the diapers says they are ideal for diapering, burping, changing, nursing, plus household dusting and car washing/waxing. Pretty amusing, especially since I have a feeling that the people who are looking for something for car washing aren't looking in the baby section.

This location of the fabric store also had none of the wool felt that I wanted for a purse sample for a class I'll be teaching soon. They did have some felt made from recycled plastic bottles that had a wool look to it, so I tried that. I had heard that they had InsulBrite for making potholders, and they did, but it was only sold in a pack with three other battings. It could have been at Hobby Lobby across the street, but they are closed on Sunday (gotta say good for them.)

Am I imagining things, or is it getting harder to find sewing supplies and trims? It seems to be hit or miss, and what's available at one location may not be found across town.

Here's a photo from Sarah, taken at breakfast this morning at the Rise 'n Shine Cafe, to give you a little sunshine today.

No comments: