Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spring Dreams

Tonight I was walking to Bridget's and it was warm, really warm, and the wind was blowing and making that cool sound in the trees. Tomorrow and Saturday will be warm once again and I am thinking about

(1) fabric dyeing. My hand-dyed stash is seriously depleted in almost all colors. I'm dreaming about an entire bolt of fabric and a whole day of dyeing, with the newly dyed fabrics drying in the back yard on the drying rack. I'd love to have a clothesline for fabrics and clothes, but I so far I haven't figured out how to do that. Maybe the giant size drying rack would be better.

(2) a compost system. Perhaps a little composter. The last time I tried composting on my own, I used a plastic trash can with holes drilled in the sides and I would roll it around. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. That might be true of all compost systems, though. In the Ecovillage, we just put the compost materials in a bucket on the back porch and someone came and got it. That was really easy, easy. One thing is sure: I don't want to do worm composting under the kitchen sink. Not for me.

(3) lettuce and peas. Onion sets, too. I really don't care much for onions, but I've never been able to resist planting some, probably because they're so easy and reliable. It's about time for starting tomatoes inside, and so far I haven't been able to find a packet of those Burpee heirloom seeds that have several different kinds. I love heirlooms and I like the surprise of seeing what kind of tomatoes I have.

(4) a rain barrel. This one is just a dream, probably not to happen this year, but something I'd love to have.

(5) daylight savings time. Somehow I have a feeling that this dream will come true before any of the others. I love the light evenings.

No comments: