Wednesday, August 27, 2008

July Take It Further Challenge Finished (for now)

Today's postcard

Except for the binding and some crystals, I'm finished with the Take It Further Challenge quilt for July. Since I have other projects lined up, and I'm already way late, this is where I'll call it for now.

July's theme was Half Way Point, so I decided to use half-square triangles for the background. The flowers represent the half-way point of the growing season, between the early seedling days and the dying out or domancy days of late fall. (OK, Jane, early fall for you in the Michigan UP.) I meant to free motion quilt half the background but ended up doing a little more than that.

The background is make from a package of Jinny Beyer fabric squares that I got at the Victorian Quilt Shop ages ago, probably from back before they moved.
It had been a long time since I'd done any piecing. I stumbled across this unused 1/4" piecing foot in my sewing machine accessory tray - hey, I know that if you have a sewing machine you have unused feet too, so stop acting all superior. Anyway, this little foot is the bomb, it really is. It makes me want to keep doing a little patchwork.
But, aside from that, I find myself drawn toward doing some sewing, actual sewing, as in making garments and home dec things. I don't know what that's all about, but I've purchased some cool books. More about them later.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love those cute flowers!

Jane said...

The half squares was a great idea for July.. I like the colors. Too funny you mentioned making home dec? I made 2 cushion covers on Sun.. the chairs were getting alittle too cold to sit on LOL !