Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Finally

Today's postcard

Finally, after a long dry spell, I have a completed small quilt. I wanted to make a wedding quilt for a special friend and decided on a crazy quilt block since I've noticed that people gravitate toward them. I deviated from the traditional crazy quilt by using my hand-dyed fabrics and very little hand stitching, some machine embroidery, lots of beads.

Not a large project at all, but it feels good to have something completed.

The large bead in the center is made with fabric, fused with Wonder Under, rolled around a bamboo skewer, and wrapped with wire.

The machine stitching on the piece second from the right spells "love" over and over.

I've seen this woman made large-scale gardens, hauling dirt and rocks. As I worked, I realized that this quilt looks like her gardens, including the white beads that are rather like a rock path.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The quilt is so neat! Clever the way you work these things into your schemes! Anybody would be happy to receive this gift, I'm sure!
Janice

Jane said...

Hi Connie, I could have sworn that I left a comment on this post...anyway, I love your block here ! Crazy quilts ought to be what ever the creator wants them to be.. I think your embellishments are awesome and the colors devine, it does have a garden/flower feel.
PS. Cute block the little Olivia made too.