Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Long Day Yesterday

Yesterday was a long day, and I'm looking forward to a better one today. Yesterday's training was particularly difficult for me and I was glad to check everything back in at the end of the day. Today's traiining is much more familiar to me, and I'm looking forward to learning a few new things.

I'm reminded once again about the different ways that people learn. I like manuals, pictures, and words. Writing it down. Having someone show me how to do something technical without that backup is a struggle for me. Sometimes I wish it wasn't that way, but there it is. It's especially difficult when there are lefts and rights involved. There were times yesterday when I felt pretty stupid, everybody else seemed to be doing ok. At the end of the day, they showed us a website with tutorials, and I knew I'd be fine. Seeing the pictures, having some time to ponder how it all works, makes all the difference for me.

On the way out for dinner, I did get up to see Lake Erie, which turned out to be much closer than I thought. No wonder it took so long to get here. I enjoyed seeing the lake, loved the vastness of it. Left to my own devices, I'd be happy to spend the day just looking at it. A couple of people and I went to Round Robin for dinner, which turned out to be a hamburger place with Round Robin himself (herself?) in attendance on Tuesdays. Picture when I get home.

I took a nice walk, then when I got back to my hotel, which is so nice, there was no water in my room. I got another room, another trip back to the office because the key didn't work, and finally got everything moved by 10:30. Ugh, I'm hoping for an earlier evening tonight.

Really nice upgrade, though. I have a fireplace and a balcony, two bedrooms and two bathrooms, one in a loft. I chose the upstairs one, just because I could. There are three tv's, with cable, I'm sure, but I'm so in the habit of not watching tv that I haven't turned on the tv since I've been here.

More of a treat for me is having a daily newspaper. I don't like to get delivery because sometimes I'm gone or don't have time to read the paper, but I also don't like to make a trip out for a paper unless I'm out anyway.

When I was out, I got a new book, Loving Frank, about Frank Lloyd Wright and one of his lovers. It started out good, and I'm hoping for lots of reading time tonight.

No comments: