Thursday, May 29, 2008

Batiks and Ecovillage

Today's postcard - I love scraps (see below)

My waxing and dyeing and wax removing from my last two batik pieces is complete. The little birds below had three dyeings. The little purple ones are hard to see, but if you click on the photo to enlarge it you might find them.

Below are leaves, also hard to see. What I wanted, though, was a sun-washed look, so I'm not dismayed. I may do something further to help the leaves show up.


On Sunday, I saw that the little natural building beside the Sustainability and Environmental Studies House at the Berea College Ecovillage looks complete. Phil Hawn worked long and hard on it. It's made of four natural building materials - slip straw, cordwood, cob, and bagged earth. It has a green roof and, if I remember right, a stone floor. It looks so attractive - good job, Phil. The last I heard, it will be used for potting plants and housing gardening supplies.

Of course I had to check out the vine on the trellis on my former apartment. It's looking good, already up to the horizontal supports, and it's only May.






1 comment:

Jane said...

Love the batiked birds but especially the celery look of todays card. Bet you hated to leave the vine when you moved! Have a good weekend Connie!!!!