Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Upgrade

Today's postcard - a handmade valentine from Kay that was too pretty to not be recycled

Since I just finished a big project, I looked through my unfinished quilts to see if anything struck me. I found this one, done many years ago, I'm sure. I can remember liking the fabric at the local WalMart one Easter season and fussy-cutting the chicks. I machine quilted it very badly - I doubt that I even had my current machine then. As often happened, I got as far as starting the binding, then stopped. I'm sure Easter was long over by then.

I know the grandkids would enjoy having the chicks in "their" room here, so I decided to give the quilt an upgrade. One of my small New Year's goals was to learn to do a pillow case finish. I used it for the February challenge quilt and now on this one, too. I tried to get lots of curves in there so I could practice. I like the way it looks with the purple tips.

I did free motion quilting over the straight quilting that was already there so that I could practice some speed. Usually I still poke along with free motion.
Another of my New Year's goals, like everyone else's, was exercising. I haven't been doing a good job at that, so I'm going to try something different. No quilting until the exercise is finished. Since I don't let many days go by without quilting, we'll see how this works.


I meant to put on the two-mile walk DVD but it was the one-mile. I decided I'd just do that for this week in an attempt to get in the habit. It will be warm soon, and an early morning walk outside sounds soooo nice.



3 comments:

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

love the curves.Sure your grandkids will love it.

Magpie Sue said...

I recognize that chick print! I think I may even still have some...!

So glad you visited my blog and left a comment so I could then find you and your blog. A postcard a day? Whew!

Looks like your TIF challenge quilt was a success. :- )

Magpie Sue said...

I'm tagging you to reveal 7 random things about yourself on your blog. Then you get to tag 5 other bloggers to do the same! Hope you'll play along :- )