Thursday, February 7, 2008

Beads

Today's postcard - painted fabric and beads

When I went to babysit Nora and Aaron today, Nora was excited to show me all her Mardi Gras beads.


Almost as good as the beads to her was her story, which she told me twice: "Helen said 'take these beads for Nora.'" She decorated me with every single strand, backed up, and said, "You look gorgeous." Always good to hear.


Aaron was a good guy, except when I didn't get his bottle hot enough. That brought temper and tears. Will this be the toddler who cries, "I can't eat the peas, they're touching the mashed potatoes?"


I painted some cheesecloth for a project I'll work on tomorrow. I was talking with Holly on Monday about dyeing cheesecloth and she mentioned dyeing thread. I said I couldn't imagine that, but she explained that usually it's thick thread that can comes in a twisted hank and can be untwisted into a circle. I'd always imagined trying to get it off and on the spool . . . . .


We'll see tomorrow whether this is an "oops." It's quilted bright pink silk formed over a mold, ok, it's a diet coke can, with a stiffening agent painted on. The instructions said that the stiffener would go on white and dry clear but mine was bronze. The pink is showing through more as it dries, so maybe there's hope. Pink and glimmery would be nice, we'll see.



No comments: