Monday, February 25, 2008

February Take It Further Challenge Quilt Finished

Today's postcard - commercial fabric and angelina

Would you believe - my challenge quilt for this month is finished. And, would you believe, I really like it. You can say "I told you so" later.

Here is is. You probably know, I've told you so many times, that the challenge topic is "what do you remember?" My quilt is a collage of many of those things.

Here's what to look for - I hope I get them all.
my uncle's grape arbor
hanging clothes on the line - every time
washing and saving tin foil to use over and over
the wringer washer
shopping at the A & P
getting an electric stove to replace the kerosene stove
my grandmother using newspaper to make patterns
chicks at my grandfather's hatchery. One spring he gave me two - my mother was so mad
always using butter, no margarine, my father was a dairy farmer
the garden
grinding horseradish in the spring
my mother crocheting rugs and my grandmother braiding them
the sulpher water from the well
quilts that were knotted, not quilted (the knots are on the edges)
the background is a gird, sort of - we would stand on the register in the winter to
stay warm
the colors in the background are an Amish pallette, sort of - we were raised in
a Mennonite home

I think I got them all.




Despite my frustration last Friday, this was a good project for me. I tried some things I wouldn't ordinarily have, at least not yet. It was an ambitious project for me - thanks, Sharon, for the push.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great piece, I love how you incorporated all those memories into a cohesive whole. I too remember standing on the registers on cold mornings before school to warm up.

Meg in Tennessee said...

A & P, I hadn't thought about that in ages. Makes me think of green stamps too and saving Betty Crocker coupons to get new silverware! Good Job on this.

Anonymous said...

This looks like so much fun, you have done a wonderful job with this concept. I think these concepts are getting harder and harder each month. She really is getting us to think outside the box!