Monday, February 26, 2024

Dreaming

 

Of course there will be other seeds, on other days, but these are the ones that came in the mail today. Summer squash that are, hopefully, more bushy than vine-y, although they will need to be staked.  Marigolds in a blush color.  My favorite basil.  

It's the time of the year for dreaming, especially on days like today when the temperature almost reached 70 and the sun was shining.  Tomorrow, perhaps, I'll start those marigolds and the basil in little peat pellets.  The squash need fewer days to planting, and the nasturtium do best directly seeded into the flower bed.

In mid March the rest of the order will come - a gooseberry plant.  It's my personal do over.  In my last house there was a row of gooseberries beside the driveway.  I liked those gooseberries and made a pie or two.  My husband, though, didn't like the way they looked and one day I came home to find him digging them out.  Grrrr.  I don't know why it's taken sixteen years of living in this house before I planted my own gooseberry, which is supposed to grow to be a large plant.

There will be another do over for my daughter.  My uncle always had ground cherries.  I don't know whether he planted them every year or whether they reseeded, but they are an annual.  Every year at Thanksgiving there would be ground cherry pie, and every year my daughter ate pumpkin pie instead.  Now she is sorry that she never tried that pie.  I'm not sure how many ground cherry plants it takes to make a pie, but hopefully there will be enough.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

I am going to have to look up ground cherries----
My grand mother grew currants...tiny red things and grapes to make wine. Peach and Pear trees.
The big family next door had a huge Cherry Tree... they had to climb it to gather cherries.
It was always so amazing to this little girl next door.

They had survived the Great Depression and filled the yard with fruit trees and large gardens.
Not wanting to go hungry ever again....the basement was lined with filled canning jars.

I carry some of that Survival Instinct to this day.