Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Can Do This

One of my goals is to get to be good, really good, on my serger. Like many people, I've been a little intimitated and very pleased to just be able to do a four-thread overcast and a rolled hem. Why the intimination? A serger uses four or five threads (no bobbin) and goes really fast. That's a lot of threading. I've been reading up, though, and I'm getting to know how all the parts work together.

Monday night I added a five-thread overcast to the mix. Success. So, last night I decided to try a coverstitch, which involves changing stitch plates and feet and about six other steps. And that worked too so I did a triple coverstitch. I'm feeling pretty darn good about all this. There is actually a serger that does coverstitch only to avoid the set-up, but the last thing I want is another machine.



Then while I had that set-up, I did a double chainstitch. Nice. This has a lot of applications for decorative stitching and quilting.



Now I want to try a flatlock stitch, then other overcasting. I've seen zippers put in with a serger, but I can't picture that yet. And then there are the threads - some are fuzzy, some have glitter - the threads are my carrot. If I know how to use them, I can get some of those threads! I want the ones with glitter.

I'm lucky to have a really, really nice serger. It has a little screen that tells me what needles and tensions to use for the different stitches. Sweet. I can do this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It all sounds so fascinating ! I have noooo doubt, you'll do it !!!
Thanks for the updates on our sweet babes , -love it !
Janice