Wednesday, March 19, 2008

You Know It's Happened To You

Today's postcard

Twenty-five years ago, one of the first quilts I made was a pastel log cabin. In every block there was a fabric patterned with Strawberry Shortcake and another with her friend Huckleberry Pie. I followed the directions carefully - the backing was put on in pieces incorporated with the front so that there was no quilting required, only some thread tacks with ribbon tied into bows. I used a light blue dotted Swiss for the backing and was pretty darn proud of that little quilt.

I used it as a wall quilt for awhile, and it went to the county fair and got a blue ribbon. Eventually I put it away and looked at it every now and then and moved it from house to house. When Nora was younger, I gave it to Steph.

Now Strawberry Shortcake is one of Nora's faves, and she took the quilt to school to use for nap time. Last week her teacher Ms. Cheryl told Steph that she found a pin in the quilt. A pin that's been there for twenty-five years, through careful construction, several washings and several moves.

Come on, you know it's happened to you, too. I can't be the only one.

No comments: