Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Touching Home








Today's postcard






What's the deal with the plaid postcards? I'm taking a Quilt University class that works with just this - weaving fabrics and adding more fabrics, ribbon, and trim to make a new fabric. The instructor warned us that it takes lots of fabric and time and I decided to go small first to experiment. I like this arrangement and like the colors, so tomorrow I'll start on my larger piece, which will be related to, but not just like this.

I got mail from Bluffton (home town in Ohio) which included a copy of last week's Bluffton News article about the dedication of a memorial honoring the Bluffton University baseball players who died in a bus crash a little over a year ago. My cousin Gregg Luginbuhl sculpted a bronze marker called "Touching Home," which has handprints and cleats. Gregg's work is wonderful as usual, but I really was touched by this paragraph from his dedication speech.

"Visually, I am asking all who visit this site to think of rounding the bases as a metaphor for our work, for our lives, and especially for our spiritual journeys. Through individual achievement, a hit or a walk, we get on base. We make judgments, decisions, take risks, maybe steal a base, but by and large we survive or progress with the help of our coaches and teammates. Sometimes we make it home, and celebrate the journey - know the joy of our contributions to the team. And then we try to get on base again."

Home run, Gregg.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hi Connie, I am really intrigued by this piece and the blue on before it. I looked at the blown up photo and see all the embellishing within it, Great job and wow, how neat the stitching is... thanks for shring the Bluffton article, how true!