Friday, March 21, 2008

Can You See The Shark?

Today's postcard


Just before noon I took the shuttle to Cincinnati for the Good Friday services. While I was waiting for the shuttle, I noticed this puddle with a reflection of a shark from the aquarium sign. Can you see him?

Here he is again, a little bigger.


The service started at Fountain Square, then moved down the street to the Freedom Center. Afterwards I joined friends from church for a walk across the river into Covington. We were on the John Roebling Bridge, which was a prototype for the longer Brooklyn Bridge.

Looking up -
And down. I find this bridge scary to drive on because it feels so slippery.

Yesterday the Kentucky House passed a bill to make the nearby I-75 bridge a toll bridge to help pay the huge cost of a replacement. It's part of the interstate system, but the feds are no help on this one. It's hard to imagine how to keep traffic flowing smoothly with a toll area, since this is a bottleneck area anyway.

Here's the newest addition to Covington's skyline. Some people really like it, some hate it. I think it's pretty cool.
High water (that's what the orange sign says) - the river is a foot below flood stage. Because of the high water and fast current, barge traffic in the city area is restricted to daylight hours. It's a difficult area to navigate with the bridges and bend in the river.

My friends walked back to Cincinnati and I took a different bridge to Newport. No use feeling virtuous about the walk, though - my path took me to my favorite bakery and a piece of cherry strudel.








No comments: