Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Take It Further Challenge Quilt for January

Today's Postcard

My January Take It Further Challenge quilt is finished. (If you want background on the challenge, see SharonB's blog In A Minute Ago at http://sharonb.wordpress.com/ and click on Take It Further Challenge.)

The January topic was admiration. I decided to make a collage representing traits of women I admire. The curve represents femininity.




Here are the traits
Green: Caring for the earth
Letters on blue background: Reading and learning
Hearts on blue background: Making decisions with feeling as well as thinking
Scraps of antique quilt: Respecting the past
Blue dots on green: Being present in the current world (The dots are in groups of one or two and loosely represent binary code, which is actually zeros and ones, used in computers to stand for letters and numbers)
Flowers and pink beads: Gardening and nurturing
Blue water and waves: Taking time for relaxation
Gold beads: Having a positive outlook
Labrynth: Growing spiritually



I didn't intend to put on a border and binding, but my little granddaughter came to visit and saw the quilt in progress, almost finished. She looked at it for the longest time, then said, "Are you making that quilt for me?" And, from that moment, I was.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lucky grand-daughter - she has her Grandmother wrapped firmly aorund her little finger, doesn't she! :)
I love this quilt with all its symbolism. Stunning!
Jocelyn

Anonymous said...

I see a hat, a shoe and a stocking, I am sure that is not intentional but it did make me think of a young woman dancing on a hill, singing with abandonment and joy. Great job!

Gwen said...

How special this is, and how wonderful that your granddaughter asked if it was for her! Who better to receive a quilt you made about admiration for womanhood?

Thank you for the comment on my blog, also.