Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Quilt

The postcard is a continuation of yesterday's, the back side of the Heine Brothers coffee bag. It's just the right size to fuse on a postcard, and I've learned that stitching through paper is no big deal, no different, really, than fabric in this application.

I've started Aaron's cuddle quilt and made up a pattern that can be quickly finished. Here's a peek at the fabrics, two of which feature Tigger. Helen, you'll notice blocks of the multi-colored fabric you gave me. My goal is to have the border on and the quilt sandwich finished tomorrow.

Tonight for the first time I went to the book club at the library. The book was Lost Mountain, which caught my attention. The people were welcoming and the discussion was interesting. I've been wanting to be part of a book club, and I'll go back next month.

At Berea, I talked about mountain top removal at least once a week. At least. Here almost no one was familiar with it. I shouldn't have been surprised, the first sentence in the book reads, "Most people, even the many whose homes are cooled, heated, and lighted by coal-fired power plants, know little or nothing about surface mining the Appalachian coal fields." Almost no one in the group had been to Eastern Kentucky, much less seen the results of mountain top removal. The book was required reading for the University 101 classes at Northern Kentucky University this fall, so hopefully people are learning.
There is a chapter in the book about the Ecovillage at Berea. In reading it, I was reminded how fortunate I was to be a part of it.


No comments: