Tuesday, January 28, 2014
A few years ago I made a worship banner for Lent, with six symbols for six different weeks. I hand dyed the fabrics to give it some depth. Then, after Easter, I put it away on a shelf. Last year I decided to change it and use it again. That seemed appropriate because the church itself was in the midst of change, about to being a search for a new pastor and to begin a renovation project. And, the fabric was so nice that I hated to keep it put away on that shelf. I cut up the original banner and put it back together so that the symbols would become part of the design but not recognizable as their original shapes. All good. It hung at the church for several weeks.
Now, I need a communion table cover for Mennonite Arts Weekend, which is coming up fast. Besides that weekend (a big undertaking for a small congregation,) the renovation and the pastoral search have begun, and we are considering a welcoming statement. I've had in the back of my mind that the banner needs another change, this time with a lot of free motion quilting. No more cutting, just changing the surface look. Representing the changing church. I also want a nice binding so it will look nice on the communion table.
I had forgotten how time slides by when I'm doing this kind of work. That's a good thing. I hope to have it free motion quilted by the end of next week, but I also have several other things going on. I figure that I'll go as far as I can, working from the middle out, and if need be I can finish with walking foot quilting around the outsides.
I'll let you know how it goes.