Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Six Blocks Done

I got only six blocks finished for the Quilt Along with Melody challenge, but I'm pleased with them. They look just as scrappy as I hoped. I added them to the flickr group this morning.

Steph asked me to do a little mending on Nora's Daisy smock.

The little brownie pin brought back memories. I loved my brownie pin. I was less crazy about the uniform, but I loved that pin. And the Girl Scout knife. We'd day camp at Harmon Field just after school was out each year. Making the little buddy burners with a large juice can and a triangular church key was the best. That year my troop had the coveted spot along Riley Creek, with a rock ledge for cooking with the little burner. I wonder what we used for fire - can't remember. Did we cook hamburgers?
.
However we did it, I'm sure I needed help. Because the scout groups were smaller than the classroom there were adults to help me along. I was such a dreamy kid, and process things didn't go well for me. My snowflakes fell apart when I opened them, my potato stamping didn't stamp, I got lost in the middle of long division, I couldn't keep track of my books or my homework.
.
One of my grade school teachers told the class that someone had scored well on whatever standardized test we were taking but didn't do that great with classwork. I wondered at the time whether it was me. I still do.

No comments: