Sunday, October 3, 2010

Shaw Farms

I've been hearing that there is a shortage of pumpkins this year, but you couldn't tell it at Shaw Farms, not too far from where Steph lives. Lots of pumpkins in the field and lots for sale. And three that Nora and Steph got for getting to all the stations in the corn maize. Aaron and I were there too, but we wandered around, cutting through rows of corn, finding good walking "sticks," and picking up field corn and discussing that boys don't eat it. Aaron kept saying, "I like this place."

The kids loved the big John Deere and Aaron went back for extra tractor time. I was thinking that my dad would have loved seeing both kids enjoying that tractor.

We went for a ride on the horse-drawn wagon and Aaron petted one of the horses afterward. Predictably, Nora did not want to pet the horse. When I was small, we had horses on the farm and once I held the reins and drove the team and wagon home from a neighboring field. I wondered what would happen when we came to a crossroads but the team turned for home. I thought it was because I was a good driver. Must have been around 5.

Last night we watched The Great Pumpkin twice and there was discussion about finding the really big pumpkin.




Thanks to Steph for the pictures. I actually stopped to look at cameras on my way home today, looking for a basic digital that I can carry around and not worry about. Something under $100. What I learned is that there are certain things I want that aren't in that price range, like lithium batteries and the good lens. Anti-shake. Large screen. Hmmmm.

No comments: