Thursday, October 7, 2010

Can You Imagine?

Can you imagine next spring, early spring, lettuce and radishes (I don't even like them, it's the principle) growing in the new extended part of my front yard garden? New, as in, put in yesterday. With a nice curve where the corner is - I didn't have enough dirt for that. When I get the bags of topsoil for the truck bed's winter weight, I'll get a couple of extra bags for the curve. Topsoil over cardboard, and by spring the grass should be gone and the planting can begin. There will be lots of good space that I started late this spring, too, that wasn't ready for summer planting. I hope I get ambitious enough to start some plants inside with grow lights, something I haven't done in this house. I haven't been happy with the selection of garden plants here. I want to start heirloom tomatoes again. And have rhubarb.

When I got the topsoil, I also got mums, pansies, and a couple of tiny plants of ornamental kale. I'm hoping that the pansies and kale will winter through. One of the mums went into the front porch planter with the Gerbena daisy. It seems that mums used to be more hearty than they are now. I can remember dividing them in my first house, and that was in Detroit. Every year they'd come back.

For Aaron, a vest with a robot from Dakota. There's a little guy on the front, too. Totally little boy.

No comments: