Monday night I added a five-thread overcast to the mix. Success. So, last night I decided to try a coverstitch, which involves changing stitch plates and feet and about six other steps. And that worked too so I did a triple coverstitch. I'm feeling pretty darn good about all this. There is actually a serger that does coverstitch only to avoid the set-up, but the last thing I want is another machine.
Then while I had that set-up, I did a double chainstitch. Nice. This has a lot of applications for decorative stitching and quilting.
Now I want to try a flatlock stitch, then other overcasting. I've seen zippers put in with a serger, but I can't picture that yet. And then there are the threads - some are fuzzy, some have glitter - the threads are my carrot. If I know how to use them, I can get some of those threads! I want the ones with glitter.
I'm lucky to have a really, really nice serger. It has a little screen that tells me what needles and tensions to use for the different stitches. Sweet. I can do this.