Saturday, November 28, 2015

Homemade Applesauce


When I was a kid, my grandmother would save some of the Thanksgiving/Christmas cranberry salad for me because I loved it.  It had cranberries ground in an old-fashioned food grinder and mixed with jello, probably sugar too.  Topped with whipping cream.  

I was thinking of that today when Aaron was enjoying applesauce.  Not exactly left over, but extra that I made for him because he loves it.  He calls it G B Applesauce, for Gran B applesauce.

It's pretty easy to make.  My directions are a little vague, and the applesauce is never quite the same two times in a row.  I usually use about 8 or 9 pounds of Granny Smith apples, although if I have some other apples hanging around I might put those in too.  

Peel, core, and slice the apples and put them in a large pot.  Put in about a cup of water, cover, and bring the water to a boil, then turn it down low enough to just maintain the boil.  Stir with a wooden spoon every five minutes or so, adding more water when there is just a little left.

When the apples are soft enough to mash, turn off the heat and mash them with a potato masher.  Don't worry about getting it all perfectly smooth.  Add about a cup of sugar.

Take out a bit and taste when it's cool enough, adding more sugar half a cup at a time if necessary.  It probably will be necessary.

And that's it.  If this makes more than you need, just freeze some.  I always make applesauce for holiday meals, freezing it ahead of time.

The secrets, I think, are to use a firm apple and as little water as possible.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

I have a few of the foraged apples left and they have such a
lovely red skin, that I think a small batch of rosy applesauce
might be something I can try.

It's cold here but no snow as yet. I changed out the down comforter from
a blanket style to the real thing. Heavy and warm. G will be happy as
he is always cold these days.