Thursday, April 25, 2024

Needles



After hemming two prom dresses, I moved on to cuffing some heavy cotton trousers.

And I was reminded once again of the importance of needles.  For the satin prom dresses, size 8 ball point needles, for the heavy trousers, size 16 jeans needles.  Different needles make so much difference in how smoothly the projects go.  It isn't just a gimmick to sell more needles.

I don't think many people change their needles after exactly eight hours of sewing, how can we really know, but lots of sewists strive for that goal.  For most piecing and regular sewing, I usually stay with a universal 14 needle and I'm happy with that for my routine tasks.  I'm usually sewing on the same types of fabrics and just set my sewing machine for different fabric types.  And yes, I'm spoiled by that.

One of my friends gave me two pieces of the very best butterscotch pie last night, with a wonderful meringue.  Good meringue has always eluded me - now I'm in the mood to try again. 






No comments: