Monday, April 22, 2024

Goetta

 


I took my neighbor out to breakfast to celebrate her birthday.  We went to Sleepy Bee, one of my favorites.  I tried this sandwich because it had vegan goetta.  Goetta is a local food, much loved in Cincinnati.  It's made from sausage and steel cut oats, fried in slices.  As a vegetarian, I'd never sampled it and was happy to see this version.  It was good. 

Everything I've tried at Sleepy Bee is good, especially the pancakes.  I love pancakes and theirs are light and fluffy, like mine never are.

My grandmother used to make mush, made with oats or cornmeal.  I wish I knew which hers was made of, but I don't.  My grandmother's mush was similar to goetta in that it was sliced and fried.  My grandmother and I ate it with Karo syrup.  Growing up, we never had maple syrup or pancake syrup, always Karo.

 I loved mush and would beg my mother to make it but she never would.  I'm guessing that's because she ate a lot of it during the depression, but I'm not sure of that.

(Thinking of my much-loved grandmother, she was blond, blue-eyed and short.  I got none of those genes.)  



1 comment:

Joanne S said...

My grandmother made me something ... I think it was fried as well. But I cannot recall it.
and I never made it for my own children. I still like veery thick cream of wheat spread on a dinner plate and topped with sugar butter and cinnamon.