Friday, October 25, 2013

Favorite Sewing Tools


I'm making a few potholders to demonstrate the Viking Circular Attachment, and I realized how many of my favorite tools I'm using in this teeny project.

1.  The Circular Attachment, of course.  It makes beautiful circles and pedals with no tracing, no fusing, and no fuss.

2.  The Interchangable Dual Feed Foot, which puts quilts together without any shifting.  I can attach the binding with the 1/4" foot, then snap on the open toe foot to use a pretty stitch to sew it down.  By far the priciest of these tools, but so worth it.

3.  Those Clover Wonder Clips around the edges.  No pinning.  New this year for me, and I'm addicted.

4.  My new Gingher applique scissors.  The angle is just right and they are so sharp.  Why did I wait so long for these?

5.  Another "why did I wait":  the package of 20 Viking watercolor bobbins.  No more unwinding a bobbin because I need a new color.  This should be a no-brainer but I put off buying them for far too long.  And I love the colors.  Some of the green bobbin traditionalists complain that it's harder to see the thread color, but I've had no problems.  Whatever machine you have, get yourself some extra bobbins - you'll feel wealthy.

6.  The Fons and Porter rotary cutter.  I have to admit that I was attracted to it just because it's red, but it's far and away my favorite.  Great for right and left handed cutting, easy to swap out blades, and so easy to lock.  With little ones in the sewing areas occasionally, that's important.  Ok, I'll admit it:  with me in the sewing area, that's important.

No comments: