Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Back

Yesterday I finished a memory quilt, commissioned as a gift for a 90th birthday gift. There are ten pictures, which made for a larger quilt than I'd originally thought since there three rows of three pictures plus one on the top row. The one on the top is the woman's graduation photo from Berea College, probably 68 years ago, and has blocks of free motion quilting on each side.

The woman's mother-in-law wanted burgundy and brown frames for the photos, free motion on the sashings between them, and hearts on the borders. All done. I used my embroidery software for the hearts and connected them with swoopy lines. I hope the family is happy with their quilt.

It was so fun on Saturday night to meet one of my high school classmates with her sister, who lives locally, and her sister's husband. In high school, my classmate had the best pony tail ever. We had a luscious dinner and good conversation at Newport on the Levee. There must have been some kind of event going on and we also saw lots of pretty, short sparkly dresses and really, really high sparkly shoes. I'm usually not out and about on a Saturday night, and the evening was such a treat.

Walking back to my car, I was impressed once again how the relatively mundane daytime Monmouth Street really lights up on a Saturday night. This was just 8:00 too, it only gets better.

No comments: