Sunday, January 1, 2012

Tree Is Down




I didn't mean to take down the tree yesterday because I wasn't ready to let it go. I meant to take down the outside lights, since the temperature was in the 40's and the wires were soft. Then I decided to put away the Christmas quilts, then the small tree. And then, just the ornaments from the larger tree. And then, everything was gone.


When I was growing up, New Year's Day was the day to pack away the Christmas things, always, not that there were a lot of decorations. It was as predictable as Monday wash day. It was the same with my grandmother, the holly wreath in the window and the feather tree on its table, down on New Year's Day. Always.


If you asked, I would say that's not my tradition, but somehow it is. Somehow it works out that way, year after year. I want the tree up longer, I love it and its lights, and yet . . .January 1, over and out.


I wonder, now, whether it came down on New Year's Day on the Christmas my husband died. Or did I leave it up longer that year. I can't remember, like I can't remember much from that year. I only remember the set of Christmas dishes that I bought. Corell, at WalMart, and I really wanted them, even though my finances were unsure. I bought them, and every year I get them out, and every year I remember the story and every year I debate whether to just leave them in their box. Every year, I get them out.


I have the two lovely poinsettias that I'd like to try to save for next year. Lots of steps involved, but we'll see. I only did it, sort of, one year, when I planted the poinsettia outside in the summer . It grew luxuriously, but the roots spread and when I dug it up it quickly died. Now I know, plant it outside but leave it in the pot. We'll see.

No comments: